Monday 31 August 2009

Gingerbread Houses

My introduction to Gingerbread Houses was in the story Hansel and Gretel , my Mother read to me as a child. The illustration of the sweet decorated little house that Hansel and Gretel couldn’t help but have a nibble on was enchanting. Of course I wanted to have a little nibble too! There was something so wonderful about a little house made of sweet bread and decorated with lollies – like a little dolls house but better.

I took some time the other day to have a look at photos in FLICKR of Gingerbread Houses to see if I could find a good one to go with this entry. I must say - I was totally overwhelmed! I had no idea that Gingerbread Houses were taken so seriously…….the people who are really passionate about making them are like Architects of dough. They go all out to make theirs the most fancy – there are even ‘Modern’ Gingerbread Houses for those that don’t like all the fuss of swirly icing and Gingerbread House Exhibitions – were the makers get to show off their expertise.

The gorgeous felt house in the photo I eventually settled on is by a New Zealand Artist - Cuckoonest. I found their creations on a fab website called Felt – which is a NZ version of Etsy. Well worth checking out and much better for my waistline.

2 comments:

admin said...

wow!! that is really cool & yes better for my waist line too :)

Morgan Wills said...

It's gorgeous isn't it....I think I might have to buy it!