Sunday 14 November 2010

Giant Apples


I have been dreaming of giant apples for a while now. What I actually want to do is make a really giant one as an ottoman type thing…stay tuned on that one…..for now though I spent a small part of my week-end conjuring up this quite large…well ok…giant apple cushion. I’m very happy with how it turned out – in fact it is just like my normal apple pincushions but BIGGER.

It’s funny isn’t it how creative ideas come into your mind and stew around there for a while and then you will be out and about somewhere and you will see something either exactly like what you were dreaming up or down a similar vein. It’s what I know as the collective unconscious. I feel like we all tap into similar ideas and then we go away and come up with our own interpretation of it. It seems very hard to be original these days and I think that is why there are just so many copy cats out there who just haven’t got what it takes to come up with their own ideas. The worst thing I think is when something is directly copied - it is NEVER as good as the original.

Recently when I went to Finders Keepers I saw some lovely giant pears cushions by Moose and Bird. They stopped me in my tracks of course as I mentioned earlier – it’s a collective unconscious thing. Giant fruit….who would have thought!!

Anyway…if you are free this week-end please come and visit me and my giant apple at the extra big Maribyrnong Makers Market (over 75 stalls across two venues) on Saturday 20 Nov and then on Sunday 21 Nov at the extra big (over 120 stalls) Mathilda’s Market at Caulfield Racecourse.

Sometimes BIGGER is definitely BETTER!

2 comments:

Kelly Gunn said...

Hi Morg,

COOL GIANT APPLE!!!

Ox

Kell

Laura Zavros said...

OMG I LOVE these! I just picked up some gorgeous silver apple earrings from Kerry Rocks in Sydney. Love an apple!