Tuesday 12 May 2009

Cubby Houses

Cubby houses as a kid were something that I naturally built and created. Little homes or nests where I felt cocooned and safe. I had a good one under the balcony of my house – it was kind of dark, musty and a bit spider-webby but when I packed my little yellow school case with my belongings and left home (at the tender age of 6) this is where I went. I probably only stayed there for about an hour though before I got hungry and snuck back inside to raid the pantry.

Some of the other cubbies I remember were of course – ones built with sheets and blankets over tables or the backs of chairs. With lots of pillows and cushions inside to make it all snugly or the naturally occurring one I discovered in the tea-tree bushes along the coastline of Mt Martha Beach. I could ride my bike down and hang out in my little nature pad – I loved it.

There was one day though I remember going to visit the home of some family friends. The daughter was quite a few years older than me and out in the back garden of her house – she had a real cubby. From the moment I saw it – I was enchanted. It was like a real little house. With a front door, glass windows that opened, curtains, mini furniture, a sink, tea sets and toy food and wait for it…I think it even had power – and a functioning light switch! I absolutely LOVED that cubby and I just thought she was the luckiest girl I had ever met. It was definitely a case of cubby envy.

When I was looking for a good cubby photo – I came across this one, which I thought was pretty special. As an adult I have no hesitation in saying that I am attracted to living in a tree house and would seriously consider doing so – well…perhaps in an alternate reality (one where I didn’t have quite so many belongings!). It is kind of amazing don’t you think….the ultimate of cubbies but with the added bonus of being a tree house. I’d love to have an afternoon or two there, playing house with my daughter Kitty and drinking unlimited cups of smartie tea (milk with smarties stirred in) and eating the chocolate brownies my Mum used to make.

7 comments:

Mommyof2girlz/StephD said...

WOW! Amazing...I want that cubby house for myself :) "No husband or children allowed!"...haha

Morgan Wills said...

I agree! Wouldn't it be fun! Mx

Lydia Dustin said...

Amazing house! Tree mansion. I love to sit under beech trees and pretend that it is my house. We also made fairy houses in the woods. :)

Morgan Wills said...

Fairy houses in the woods sounds right up my alley! Lets have a fairy tea party!

Fiona Symmons said...

Love the cubby house in the pic! The great thing about having kids is that you get to do the things you wanted to as a kid, and last year we bought Mia a cubby house. You can come and play in my cubby house any time (and if they are good, Kitty and Mia can join us!!) f x

Morgan Wills said...

Yay! Thanks Fi :-) Would love too!

Angela Camardi said...

Nice Post ... Thank You.Cubby Houses